A Week Shy of Halfway There

Posted by on | |


So I had my first run-in with pregnancy hormones. I've felt all but abnormal throughout this entire pregnancy to-date *knock on wood* and haven't had any real sign of baby (not even morning sickness... be jealous) up until about 10:21pm last night. Michael and I have, as most of you know, recently become homeowners and are in the market for quite a few new purchases. A lawnmower being one of them. We've taken ownership of our lawn the past few weeks and decided that before the rainstorm hits, we wanted to trim/mow/fertilize the front and back yard. Yadayadayada... this leads me up to the point at which the story becomes relevant.

I'm in the Lawn and Garden section of WalMart, waiting for assistance to help me lift a boxed lawn mower into my cart. Walking the aisles to find a salesperson and 10 minutes later - mission accomplished. (Michael instructed me more than once not to lift it by myself, and to find someone to help. This whole being dependent thing is kind of hard for me - he knows me all too well)

I trucked it across the store and several aisles later, stood in line at one of the four open checkout stands. I waited patiently for an elderly lady with a shaky hand to write a check, a 10-year old boy and his mom to return a bike pump that broke after only half-way filling up his front bike wheel with air, and a chatty-Cathy who wanted to return a Dora 2T toddler one-piece PJ set that I only wished I could fit in and curl up until the long line dissolved.

After reaching what I thought was the end of my adventure and beginning of my trek home, I notified the cashier that I would need assistance getting the mower into my car. She looked both puzzled and confused. Still not sure why.

She leaves her cash register and walks over to the customer service station where her supervisor was just locking up. She comes back and informs me that all of the stockers are gone for the night and that they wouldn't be able to help me.

I just stood there. So did she.

"Well, I need help." I urgently responded.

She replies, "Yeah, well they all went home, so....."

--------------------- Insert part about the pregnancy hormones --------------------------

Had it not been for my pride and sheer and utter disbelief, tears would have welled up in my eyes. Instead, they stayed just out of sight, but not by far.

I reply insistently and maybe louder than was necessary, "Well I'm pregnant and can't lift this by myself. I need you to find someone who can help me."

She turns right back around, walking toward her supervisor, who was already on the phone paging someone to help me. She must have heard my "insistent and maybe louder than was necessary" reply.

Five minutes later, a nice gentleman was at the front of the store, ready and willing to assist me.

Unbelievable.

P.S. You can vote on what you think the gender of our baby will be at the top-left of our blog. Not that you really have a say in what it is - neither do we - but it's fun, right? We find out what we're having on Wednesday and couldn't be more excited!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

That is so exciting that you get to find out so soon! And seriously let me guess the checker was some high school lame-o who thinks she is the coolest thing to walk on Twin Falls dirt. Ok so that was not necessary... but seriously give the pregnant girl a hand. Or you will get a hand in your face next time little high school punk. :) wow I just sounded really mean. If only I could really be that mean. Sorry I' ll stop now. so anyway how 'bout that lunch :)

Shantal and Alofaaga Laulu said...

I am sooo excited for you!! I had the EXACT type of pregnancy with Toa, EVEN the no morning sickness :) For that reason I voted for boy!! I can't wait to see what your little angel is!!

Elise said...

I voted boy. That's exciting that you're finding out soon!

Lara said...

Ugggghhhhh. Some pregnant women are soooo rude. If I were her I would've told you to sleep in the aisle and wait until morning.

Post a Comment