Aiden Michael Vasquez

Posted by on | |






Wow! 2 weeks has flown by so fast! Aiden was born 2 weeks ago today and our lives have changed forever. He has us wrapped around his fingers, but we wouldn't have it any other way. He is a spitball and very strong. He came out holding his head up and already tracking with his eyes. I went into the hospital Saturday night after we attended our ward party and he was born at 6:13 that next morning. Michael's parents drove down and were here to greet him shortly after he was born, and of course my parents were close enough to visit as well. The delivery went smooth and I feel like I have been healing fairly quickly. Because I started contractions at 3am Saturday morning, I didn't really get any sleep for a few days. My mom was amazing and came and helped out Michael and I for a few days. I am so lucky and grateful Michael was able to take a week and a half off to spend time with our little family and be there to support me.
We had a scare on the 2nd night we had him home, where Aiden would have a gulping sensation and didn't look like he was breathing. We took him into the ER and after 5 hours, no one could really give us an answer and of course he didn't do it for the doctor in the hospital, so he was just relying on us describing it. We made a follow-up appointment with his pediatrician the next morning and it was then that we found out that he had developed acid reflux as well as jaundice. His level taken at the ER was 12.3 and jumped the next day to a 15.7. Over the next two days we had him on a biliblanket which was supposed to bring it down, but at his next checkup, his levels rose even more to an 18.9. The doctor decided to admit him to the NICU to put him under the lights. It was hard to leave him, but it ended up only being for 24 hours. There is not a place to sleep, so the doctor told me to go home and get some rest. That was the first night that I actually slept in 5 days. I had tried to take naps during the day, but I've never been one to nap, so it's really hard for my body to adjust.
After we took him home from the NICU, his levels were down to a 12 again. These past few days, we have been trying to put him in the sunlight and have good feedings, so he can get his levels all the way down. Unfortunately, he was tested again this last week and it went back up to a 15. It's really frustrating and our poor little guy has been pricked so many times, the last few he has just slept through it. I guess he figures there's no use crying anymore :)
Anyway, we are just supposed to keep an eye out for him and watch his skin color. We go to the doctor again Monday for an ultrasound for what they suspect is a click hip or hip dysplasia. Aiden may have to be put in a Pavlik harness for a few months which will help pull his hip ball and socket back together. Click here to find out more about it: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00347
All I know is is does not look fun for both mom and baby :( But if we didn't get it done within the first few months of life, he would have to have hip surgery by his teenage years. So we will do whatever it takes!
Anyway, we love our little guy and know that everything will work out. Thanks for all of your prayers and love!

1 comments:

Dan and Julie Fisher said...

Aww loved your update and loved seeing a picture of your parents. Oh how I miss the good people of Twin Falls!

Post a Comment